February 07, 2010

Valentine's Day Is...

I've compiled a slightly cynical, pessimistic--if not completely truthful--list of definitions that describe Valentine's Day. So without further ado, I will tell you that Valentine's Day is...

-a day for emotionally unstable people to express their emotional instability without too much criticism. Like when I get excited over new Harry Potter movies because it's makes my obsession more socially acceptable--yeah, just like that.

-a day for girls to make each other feel inferior and assert themselves over one another based on how many carnations one gets.

-a good day to let family members and friends know that you value them.

-a time for people to prove they have some semblance of a soul so that they can go on being their insensitive, soulless selves the rest of the year.

-a day for couples to prove to others--and perhaps themselves--that they like each other.

-always a disappointment.

-barbaric.

-a legitimate reason to skip school.

Now, maybe you think I'm just bitter, but I'm really just surprised that a civilized society still celebrates and encourages such a holiday. Also, I'm not too psyched for this Valentine's Day--I think a certain nice someone is going to send me something, and if this someone does, I'll have to turn him down, and although I may come off as a very severe and frank person who thinks everyone else just needs to toughen up, I'd really rather not hurt his feelings.

Hoping V-Day Meets Its Z-Day,
Nadia

P.S. Let me know if you think up of additional definitions.

No comments: