July 03, 2011

The True Meaning of a Word

Have I ever mentioned this before? I'm not sure. I find myself saying, "...and I have very specific ideas about word usage," quite a lot. Now is the time for me to finally explain my idea.

See that? I didn't say that this was my speculation, or my theory. I said idea. How different is that! Isn't that wonderful? Every word means the same thing, but in so many different ways! No footnote in any book could ever explain every connotation, every meaning, every facet, every way with which the word is spoken! It's simply impossible.

I'm starting to believe that there are very, very few people who actually realize the beauty of language. Voice in a writing isn't really about the voice, it's about the words. It's about saying something with the right words. It's about saying anything with the right words! Saying "shake," and "vibrate," are two incredibly different things, but two incredibly different things with the same meaning. In all the great written works, I can assure you that every word has been planned out tighter than a freshly botoxed face. Each syllable has been plotted to ignite a certain thought, to add a special color to the scenery you have imagined in your head.

That is my point.

My point is that words are special. My point is that no word is like any other--they each mean something so far from its supposed synonym! It is so important to choose your words carefully, because it can change everything you say!

I suppose I can't write much more on the subject without sounding like a madwoman, and so, I say good night.

Your Writer,
Nadia.

No comments: