June 08, 2009

'Tis Better To Have Loved And Lost Than To Have Never Loved At All

It's a common phrase: "It's better to have loved and lost than to never have loved at all."

What crap.

I'm sure that anyone who has felt heartbreak would rather have never loved at all. Although, I think how the love was lost makes a difference.

So, say the love was lost to death. Then, MAYBE, it would seem UNDERSTANDABLE to not wish you never loved, but much of the time, this phrase is crap.

But if you broke up, then I'm sure you'd wish you never loved at all.

Why would anyone be happy to wallow in woe and sorrow? If you could go back in time and change falling in love with someone who you were going to eventually split up with anyway, wouldn't you do it (hypothetically)?

It's like going back in time to warn yourself not to do something very fun because you'll end up in a full body cast. It's the logical thing to do! So why would anyone say, "Hey, that minute before the bungee cord snapped was so fun, it was worth the year you're going to have to spend in this cast!" Sitting there in the hospital bed, I'm sure that you'd then find someway to hit whomever said that over the head with a bat, club, or lamp, despite your broken arms.

And it's the same thing with heartbreak!

Do you agree? Do you think it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all, or it's better to have never loved at all than to have loved and lost?

Your Blogger,
Narnia*

*It's a nickname.

P.S. Lots of book reviews coming up!

4 comments:

SimplyShy01 said...

I'm looking forward to the book reviews to come!

I agree on both sides. I can see how people wouldn't want to love, yet I can see how people support the other side as well. Like what you said, breaking up will probably make someone wish they never loved in the first place. But if someone were to lose a person very precious to them, I can see why they liked loving them, at least they got to love for some time.

Actually, I believe I'm leaning a little bit to the side of loving and lost.

I'm sorry if my comment is a little confusing. I ranted a little.

Take care and have a nice day :)!

-SimplyShy

TheBookBabe said...

Hmm...

Can say....
I'd rather be lost from love for live, thin date 1,000 men, and never feel love?

I want to meet that..true special someone.

Later!
Hol ♫

Nadia Murti said...

Holly: You want to meet that special person, but I'm assuming you don't want to lose him.

-Nadia

Ren @ All By Myshelf said...

I'm on the side of loving and losing. Break up pain will go away, and then you can just look back on the good times you had before that. Wishing you never loved at all just to avoid a smidge of pain/sadness/whatever is just kinda lame if you ask me. I mean, come on! Get over it and move on with your life! (that wasn't directed at anyone, but if someone I knew was being a ninny about a breakup or something, that's what I would yell at them.)